Apprenticeship publication legislation requires public sector employers with 250 or more staff to publish information every year about their performance against the public sector apprenticeship target. The target for each employer is to employ an average of at least 2.3% of their employees as new apprentice starts over the period 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2021.
Academy trust were required to publish this information for the first time in 2019 for starts between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019. Our performance against the target within NEAT was:
- Number of employees whose employment began in the above period: 86
- Number of new apprentices in the above period (new hires and existing employees who started an apprenticeship): 1
- Number of employees who were working on 31 March 2019: 373
- Number of apprentices who were working on 31 March 2019: 1
- Percentage of new apprentices as a proportion of all new employees in the above period: 1.16%
- Percentage of employees that were apprentices on 31 March 2019: 0.27%
We also submit an annual Apprenticeship Activity Return to the Department for Education to show our progress, describe factors that have impacted on our ability to meet the target, the challenges we have faced and how we are planning to meet the target. Our main challenge is the lack of approved apprenticeship standards for job roles in schools/academies.